Sunderland delicacy, the Pink Slice is an all-time Mackem favourite, and we think everyone should be able to enjoy this delicious dessert during isolation.
Join us on our bakery journey where we will guide you through each step on how to make your very own Pink Slice masterpiece.
215g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 300g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder 160g raspberry jam
230g icing sugar mixture
1 1⁄2 tablespoons boiling water Pink food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 170C/150C and line cake pan with oil. Place a generous amount of baking paper inside the tray.
2. Use electric beaters to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and beat until combined. Sift over the flour and baking powder. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix until the mixture starts to come together.
3. Divide dough into two equal portions and place in prepared pan. Spread raspberry jam over dough and place remaining portion on top.
4. Bake for 25 minutes until golden. Allow a cooling period of 20 minutes before placing onto a wire rack. Remove the paper and set aside to cool completely.
5. For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Place butter on one side of the bowl and add one tablespoon of boiling water over the butter. Stir until butter is melted and icing is smooth. Add 1 teaspoon of hot water until mixture is a spreadable consistency. Add 1- 2 drops of food colouring and mix until combined. Spread icing over shortbread while wet.
6. Set aside for 1 hour until set and cut into squares to serve. Enjoy!